A leader in healthcare law, Nelson Hardiman provides mission-critical legal counsel to hospitals and health systems. Known for our innovative and creative approach to solving the most complex issues in healthcare, we offer a depth of experience and insight that healthcare organizations cannot live without.
Nelson Hardiman understands providers must balance the needs of their patients with increased healthcare utilization and cost, decreased federal and state dollars to pay for healthcare costs, and increased government enforcement. We work closely with our clients to meet these challenges, to guard against fraud and abuse and to advise on business operations and transactions. Nelson Hardiman provides hospitals and health systems with the guidance and advocacy that comes with deep integrity and experience in the healthcare industry.
Our Work Includes:
- Acquisition Counseled and documented acquisition of acute care hospitals both in and out of bankruptcy courts, involving workouts and operational turnarounds.
- Complex Business Litigation Represented a national health system in a contract dispute with another health system and its management company involving an unsuccessful purchase of five financially distressed nonprofit hospitals. The case settled favorably for our client the day before trial.
- False Claims Act Defended hospitals in complex federal and state FCA actions involving claims for allegedly non-reimbursable, unnecessary or inflated services and costs.
- False Claims Act Defended 13 hospitals against hospital employee relator submission of false Medicare claims for inpatient admissions.
- HIPAA Counseled healthcare systems on HIPAA and state health information privacy laws and development of privacy compliance programs.
- Hospital Transactions Served as lead transactional counsel on numerous large hospital purchase and sale transactions in California and throughout the U.S.
- Independent Counsel for Hospital Medical Staffs Proactively counsel medical staffs on changes in the law and needed revisions to policies and bylaws, procedural steps in disciplinary actions and advise on professional liability and risk management issues.
- Physician Agreements Represented California hospitals in evaluating, negotiating, and drafting physician agreements, including professional services agreements, administrative services agreements, call coverage, and hospital-based agreements.
- Regulatory Compliance Investigated health care compliance implementation deficiencies for a hospital system and provided recommendations for improving compliance program.
- Stark Law Advised a large nonprofit hospital corporation in internal Stark Law review and self-disclosure of over 2,000 physician compensation arrangements, including significant written analysis of healthcare fraud and abuse issues and self-disclosure documents.